Sunday, June 3, 2007

Best brownies

Brownies have always sat on top of my list of comfort foods, although I must admit, a really good one is hard to come by. Not surprisingly, its moist and dark exterior is often misleading – anything that looks that drop-dead gorgeous to the eyes should translate pretty well on the palette. Or does it..?


So, what makes a good brownie? In my dictionary of best brownies, texture is everything. It’s gotta be 3 things – dense, moist & fudgy. Anything 'open' is chocolate moist cake, anything lighter is chocolate sponge cake, anything crumbly is uh... something else other than.

But with myriad variations spawning off the original recipe, one can never be to sure how a real brownie should taste like. Which is why I’m pretty skeptical when it comes to sinking my teeth into store-bought brownies.

So what’s a hungry gal to do when her sweet tooth craves for a sweet bite?
Search for the best in town of course!

> > >

Breeks: 2 words – Aye Caramba! This joint’s brownie sure packs one helluva punch! It’s so dense, more so chocolatey, it’s good.

You can ask for it be served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (which in my opinion, is a MUST) to sit perfectly on your warm American brownie. Also an option is the sauce, with a choice of chocolate or expresso (with coffee beans). For moi, expresso’s the way to go. The bitter tang just adds another pow! to the already tantalized tastebuds.

(Anybody knows whether they do delivery??)


Mac café: Surprisingly good, although awfully sinful! Rather generous with the ganache topping above a light yet moist chocolate cake layer. Actually quite delightful and best eaten hot. I’m lovin’ it already!

Café Galilee: Not the worst, neither the best. Rather cakey and dry for my liking. But what the hey, that’s just me. You might just like it. Although I have to commend their presentation, it was top class ya’ll!

(p/s: It’s the brownie in the header. To the left, to the left. Pretty neat, aye?)



Coffee Bean: Yaoza! Have you seen a brownie that hee-yuge before? It is even legal? That’s one hunka chunky brownie, and a lip-smacking one too! This one’s all the way from Boston, packed with chewy walnuts. Pop it into the microwave, slap on some-o-dat ice cream and wala! One damp and dark killer brownie. Is this what I’ve been missing out on all these years? I think so!


Secret recipe: It should definitely not be a secret because this brownie is delish! I said it once, I’ll say it again. Brownie and vanilla ice cream, a match made in brownie heaven. They’re like 2 and 2! Oprah & Gayle! Brad & Jen! ... wait a second, Brad & Jen?

Yes, like Brad and Jen, it didn't quite work out due to irreconcilable differences (whatever. Jen, you're still my favourite, sweetheart). This brownie is comparable to that of Mac’s (good btw) but sadly takes a backseat in the ice cream department. The less-than premium ice cream melts too fast, becomes vanilla shake before I can say *treat me to a brownie!* -- hmm where did that come from ;p

Until they do decide to splurge on better vanilla ice-cream, I won’t be screamin’ for their ice-cream. Just kidding. I still would actually. I love the combo that much :)

* * *

Well there you have it, my personal faves from Breeks and Coffee Bean. For now that’s the end of settling brownie points (pun very intended) but definitely not the search for it.

MNFD? Brownie Factory, Starbucks perhaps? No, DEFINITELY.

No comments: